http://theunitedamerican.blogs.com/bring_it_on

Friday, December 16, 2005

Milestones

Milestones are like little gifts. You're handed the opportunity to reflect; how travels the path you've chosen, or didn't? What lies ahead? Are you ready? Are you scared?

Sometimes people don't recognize milestones. There's always something still out of reach, a goal or desire required for ultimate happiness. Other times, milestones are of the in your face variety. A decision is required. A door must open or close in your life. Relationships, jobs, death... all stones of a sort, to be endured or enjoyed, but undeniably, to be recognized and pondered.

God Dem! is one year old.

Re-reading my first post was interesting, to say the least. Like lots of left leaning bloggers, the Presidential Election was a turning point that bloated discontent to the breaking point and belched it into the blogoshpere. I was a belchee. Anger, an emotion I'd never felt in connection to the American political scene, was in my driver's seat. I'd lived in a reddish state, surrounded by people who ate, breathed and slept Rush Limbaugh, patiently waiting for sensibility to take over. Surely a blow job was not this encompassing.

But it was.

If so, certainly we could move past a "mis" leader after four years? The administration that scared me with nonexistant nukes, yellow cake, and WMD's should be accountable for their words, right? The President who was a divider, not a uniter, would publicly scrutinized for his actions?

What we saw was the nastiest election ever. Florida was too close to call. The last three weeks of the campaign left me nauseated. Truly, I saw American idealism decimated for profit and power. My country was not great, it was not honest, it was not civil or gracious. She was the hot, easy chick who asked for it. America is a nation that is comprised by millions. Our "being", as it were, is personified by the leaders we choose to implement the course we believe best. When the bullies took the keys from Diebold, they changed the look of the country.

They raped idealism.

Overnight, we became citizens too scared and stupid to know what was best for us. We allowed aggression to become our footprint, without viewing aggression through Honor's looking glass. Afghanistan lies on the bed, forgotten, while Cheney humps for oil. We've shit on our veterans, exist in racial denial, and denigrated our poor.

A year later, I look at the body of essays that is God Dem!, and I'm proud of the work. This blog started in anger has grown, and grown up. Through it, we've pondered the role of liberals in our world, the schism of the Democratic Party and religion, in three parts (1, 2, 3), the power of prayer, and the fall of an administration built on a tissue of lies. I've met some amazing minds, and learned how to defend with grace and pith.

Coming into another election year, we will undoubtedly be nauseated again. This time, though, the number of blog voices has grown in both ability and desire. We understand very well that nothing less than citizen involvement will do. There will be no more waiting for sanity to prevail.

Lock and load.

12 Comments:

At December 16, 2005 11:33 PM, Blogger Ken Grandlund said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I have one coming soon too.

It seems that we (and surely many like us) started in on this blog thing for many of the same reasons. Frustration at the sham American politics has become. Anger at the apathy of our fellow citizens. Energized to take a stand, even if only as part of the growing anonymous but loud voice that is the blog.

Let us keep fighting the good fight, no matter how Quixotic it may seem at times. Who knows? We might even prevail.

 
At December 17, 2005 6:27 AM, Blogger Jet said...

If I've learned anything from this year in blogging, it's that doing nothing and blind loyalty hurt America. We need our thinkers and doers. We must be active in our own governance.

Congrats on your anniversary, Ken. Time flies, eh?

 
At December 17, 2005 11:53 AM, Blogger Tom Harper said...

Happy Birthday Jet.

It's also the 1st anniversary of Zaphod's Heads, another excellent blog.

My blog is about 14 months old, but I didn't discover Blog Explosion until late December of last year. Those first two months I was just dying out there, getting about 6 or 7 visits a day.

I think the 2004 election inspired a lot of people to start blogging. Keep up the good work.

 
At December 19, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger Jet said...

Thanks, Tom. There's certainly a learning curve when trying something new. I remember how grateful I was when I got my first comment. Excited, too. Somebody read me, and GOT it. What a rush! I never looked back.

 
At December 20, 2005 12:18 AM, Blogger M A F said...

Although it is my first time, let me congratulate you on your 1 year anniversary.

While I too was first excited by my first comment, I am still waiting for that first ranting and raving comment that refers to me in the most derogatory of name.

Almost forgot, Love the profile pic!

 
At December 22, 2005 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tempus Fugit Jet. Blog on Sister, Blog on.

 
At December 23, 2005 10:36 AM, Blogger Jet said...

Welcome, McDonald's Farm. You'll get your chance with the right-wing nuts, never fear. ;-D I love your cartoons on your site -- way cool.

Thanks, Bas -- you goober!

It certainly does, Wind. Faster every year.

Thanks, Pia. Happy Chanukah!

 
At December 24, 2005 12:10 AM, Blogger Paul G. said...

Peace

 
At December 25, 2005 7:57 AM, Blogger Betsy said...

Merry Christma-hannu-kwaanza!
Congrats on your one year mark, Jet. You got me started, simply because I had to create a blog to comment on yours. Mine is the post-once-every-couple-of-months variety, but I do appreciate the diligence with which you post, and your thought-provoking, heartfelt topics. Loved gabbing on the phone with you last month, we could have gone on for another hour if it hadn't been closing in on midnight. I miss you, Woman. Hug and much love to you and your family!

 
At December 27, 2005 10:11 PM, Blogger Gunga Dan said...

"They raped idealism."

Wow, that says it better than any other way I've heard or said it myself.

Many happy returns, Jet, and let us all hope for idealism coming back whole and hale and ready to fight.

 
At December 28, 2005 2:33 PM, Blogger Jet said...

I hope peace is with you as well, Paul. Your ride's been rough.

Thanks, Betsy! I'm glad we've been friends for, what, 25 years? You're the best.

Cheers to you, too LHL. Glad to see your moseying through the bloggojungle again.

Thank you so much, BK. That's high praise, indeed. Maybe if we start fighting for idealism, she'll join us in the fray.

 
At December 29, 2005 9:42 AM, Blogger frstlymil said...

I'm with BK - "They raped idealism" - fabulously put. Happy Birthday and Happy New Year to you as well - and many congrats on what has been a year of fine, thought provoking, eloquent and enlightened work from your brilliant brain. Keep it coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home